Sunday, June 8, 2008

BBQ...The Coward's Way!

My husband LOVES to BBQ. Before he left for Korea he decided he would teach Kimberly and I how to BBQ. One look at the FIRE he had going and we decided it was not for us! Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend this year...The kids wanted a BBQ for the holiday weekend. Kimberly and I looked at that big-hulking-propane-guzzling-thing sitting out on the porch and went "NO WAY!". We discussed several possiblities...we could microwave hot dogs, boil them, go buy them (my suggestion) or any other combination of ideas. No...the kids wanted hot dogs WITH the "cooked over a gas grill" burn marks on them. Finally I got to thinking...what if we were to cook them over the stove on Steven's cast iron pan--it has "burn marks" in about the right positions. We had a GREAT cheater's BBQ! Perfectly burned hot dogs, pork and beans, watermelon...all the trimmings of a fun holiday picnic!


The kids had SO much fun with it...we have had it every weekend now while Steven has been gone to California for training. Yesterday we decided that when you are having a picnic, we should have s'mores also. If we are going to be cheaters on the BBQ...I might as well "fake" some s'mores also! So 30 seconds in the microwave later...our graham crackers, chocolate, marshmallows magically became s'mores! (well, without the burned parts from getting them too close to the fire!) Yummy!





1 comment:

Paula said...

Ohhh, that smore looks yummy!