Saturday, June 7, 2008

Friday "Mom Day"

When I was living in Idaho last year while Steven was deployed to Korea, I started going up to Rexburg where my mom lived every Friday. We had our routine we ALWAYS followed. First was breakfast at McDonalds--her breakfast burrito and my sausage biscuit. We always laughed about the "regulars" that were there every time we went and ironically they probably laughed at us! After that it was off to the dollar store and then the DI to hunt for bargains. My bookshelves overflowed that year and Missy had the best dressed doll. We usually would do a some coupon shopping at Walgrens and then it was time for lunch. Arctic Circle was a favorite! (I miss my Ranch Burger with extra white sauce!) Sometimes we even let my dad come along for lunch but most of the time it was just a "Girls' Day Out"!


The past three weeks while my husband has been in California at a training, I have tried to start a "Mom Day" with my children. Each week I have taken one of my kids on their very own "Mom Day". They always have to have elements from the orginal schedule though. We always hit the Goodwill (no DI here) and usually a dollar store. I take them to lunch and then we go grocery shopping. It has been so fun to spend time one-on-one with each of them and talk about silly things or life's upcoming decisions. I love them all so much! Today was my last "Mom Day" while Steven is gone. I told him that I am going to do them each week while he is in Iraq this fall. It is a great way to get to know your kids!


I wanted to add a favorite picture of MY mom having a "Mom Day" event with Missy. It is an older picture--but I think it is priceless! Mom was visiting us while we were in Florida and her and Missy decided to play dress-up. Missy did Grandma's makeup and Grandma did hers. What a wonderful memory Missy will have! Thanks Mom for always making my kids feel special!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I love your mom! I have so many good memories of her serving our family and being my 2nd mom and friend. Because you are the "youngest" you probably don't remember our yearly visits to your home and the extra work that meant for your mother. Her service allowed her sister and my mother to have a vacation. Your mom and dad are the best!